Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Life's like what?

I'm not sure what I expected my life to be like when I was little. Usually, when I stop & think "I never expected life would be like this", it's a good occasion, with awe & wonderment & joy.
.
For example, travel.
Seeing Petra in Jordan.
.
Seeing the Brooklyn Bridge. That kind of cool moment.
.
Or meeting my little girl for the first time.
.
Realizing how much fun she is...
(Accessorizing. That's my girl!)
.
And how lucky I am & how great my family is. That sort of thing.
(Reading after a long day.)
.
Yesterday, however... On my way home from the office, the traffic announcer said: "And we're backed up in the NE at Street X and Street Y because of another drive-by shooting."
.
And I thought - those bloody gangs. At least it's not on my way home. And then I stopped.
.
Since when has a gangland drive-by murder become simply a traffic hassle? When did I start living in a place with that kind of gang warfare? And most importantly, how did I get to the point where my brain processes that kind of information as pertinent ONLY to my commute?
.
I'm trying to make a point today of doing and thinking good things, and to try to help somebody else. Better yet, help somebody help somebody else! Ha. I've got it figured out.
.
Now to carry on with my day's plan, ha-hah. If only I can figure out where I put my scissors... they're the pivotal first step on today's path...





.

No comments: