Thursday, March 11, 2010

What I Did On My Winter Vacation

Well, the unpacking/reorganization continues. Overall, I'm pleased with what I packed for clothing - I wore everything but one dress, and I didn't wear it because every time I thought I would, Amoryn was wearing the matching dress. Also, I had to wear a bra with it. (I only wore one once the whole holiday, for date night. Otherwise, it was all bikinis or shelf-bra nursing tanks.)
.
I ended up packing too much knitting - not that I packed a lot. It's just that my knitting muse appeared to be on holiday as well. I'd also like to note at this juncture that AGH!, zauberball crazy may be a pleasing ball to look at, but it sucks as either beach or tsunami knitting. Imagine the ball rolling away into either the sand or the ditch. Then imagine me grinding my teeth, recovering the ball, picking all the whatever out of it, and continuing. I shelved it about halfway through the holiday, as I didn't like how it was working out, apart from the sand business. Time to rebrowse patterns.
.
There was even one day I didn't knit at all - although I'm giving myself a pass as I spun & plyed 32 yards of yarn out of 9 grams of a silk hankie I'd gotten from
Spinknit. I learned that while silk hankies are much nicer in humid climates, I'm still not too fond of them. I did make good friends with my new little Jenkins though.
.

Isn't it wee? Don't you love it? I had it delivered to the condo in Maui as I knew that if it got sent to the house, I'd never vacation pack, let alone all the bureaucratic stuff. Here, it's modelling a teeny little bit of bombyx. I love it. It spins like a little dream, and Ed & Wanda are super.
.

Speaking of teeny, here is the smallest skein I've ever made. I plyed the singles, and I believe that a two ply will give me a nice lace weight, and a three ply will give me something good for socks. Not that I really knit socks, but you know the weight of yarn that I mean.
.


I'd chucked the one silk hankie in, just because I thought 9 grams of fiber on a 10gram spindle should work well. Mostly, I was correct. You can see in the above shot that there's quite a bit of variation in the weight of the single; partially new spindle, mostly that the hankies weren't drafting the way I wanted them too. (IE: evenly.)
.

This spindle makes the most endearing wee copps - I can't even tell you.
.

I managed to ply all 32 yards onto the spindle at once - although let me let you, that spindle is not really meant for plying. Anything in a pinch, though; a coconut/kukui contraption might have worked better, but then I'd have to have invested time in macguyvering a spindle.


Speaking of macguyvering, and having neglected to pack my niddy-noddy, I wound the skein around a book, and set the twist using the above set-up. My holiday fiction reading is in that bag, the leis are from the luau we went to; and I used Eleni's baby shampoo for the yarn soak.)
.

And ta-dah! To the eye, it seems a much darker purple, but in the flash or direct sunlight you get the blue/violet tones. I've knit it into a wee rectangle, that will become a wee baggie to put some odds & ends into. I'd have a photo of that too, but it needs to be blocked, then sewn.
.
Oh. Photos of my adorable children, frolicking in the surf? Other holiday type stuff, for the non-knitting, non-spinning crowd? Tomorrow, dudes.
.
PS: My displeasure with hankies is exactly that - it's the hankie. Spinknit's colors are gorgeous, and possibly the only thing that will get me to spin up that last hankie (in orange & browns with a little red). Now that I know I don't like to spin with hankies; no more hankies for me! (A little like how I feel about regular tip Addis. Maybe for you, but not for me.)

No comments: