Saturday, August 16, 2008

Old, Old, Old.

The man got to bed the other night & told me I was old. I blinked, a little taken aback.
.
"We're both old. We Are Old. Z was watching the movie, and Right Before They Blew Up The Deathstar, she was like 'I'm bored & I'm going to go and read.'. And she left! Right Before They Blew Up The Deathstar! We're old."
.
He seemed kind of shocked by it all. I've been letting my inner granny out to play with all sorts of things since I was, oh, 5 or six? (Liquid embroider anyone? Wheat weaving? Never mind the knitting & the sewing.) So I'm a bit split personality age-wise, in that yes, I quilt, & I knit, & I do All Sorts of Old-Fashioned Square* Things. I guess my inner granny & I, we sit & spin in the rocking chair, & we're content with being old. And then I stack blocks with my toddler, and I'm happy being young. And** then Z walks by, & I revel in being square. I prefer to think of it as flexibility, not confusion.
.
Z is currently out with Auntie S, they're hiking. Than man has gone to the gym, & Am is sleeping the sleep of the small & exhausted. I'm puttering in the basement, not really accomplishing much, because really, I've already cut quite a swathe through my UFOs***, and not every moment of my time needs to be spent in frantic action. I think the frenzied push to Get Things Done has a little bit to do with grieving for Hugh, actually, and I need to take a deep breath, realize that yes, time may be short, but by cramming every second with action & obligations, life isn't that enjoyable.
.
I'm debating starting a new project or two. I think I'll polish off some more UFOs first though, but I'm mulling, variously, knitted socks, using the two-at-a-time, two needle method, dye projects, lace-weight cardigans, striped sweaters & vests... Not to mention taking up painting, in the smaller art-work sense, as opposed to the larger, room-reno sense, which I am already quite proficient at, thank-you. Oh, and, um. Yes. There's never a lack of things to pick up & poke away at.
.
Anyways. I'm off to go & wheedle two BBQ covers out of the enormous pile of green MWCN****, wish me luck.
.
.
*Square, as in the out-of-date slang term, not as in the orthogonal shape. Although some of my projects are square, it's true.
**And I know I'm not supposed to start sentences, with "And", but I I can't help it. I like it. And I'm gonna.
***UFOs - Un Finished Objects
****MWCN - Medium Weight Coated Nylon - old fabric store speak.

No comments: