Thursday, February 21, 2008

It smelled like spring today.

It was Wednesday today, which is obvious, yes, but Wednesday has come to mean not the middle of the work-week, but swimming lesson day! Swimming lessons are awesome, with the only awkward part the post-swim shower & change. Today's shower was mucho better, as I brought along a sling & used it to keep Amoryn braced on my hip. It may seem a little weird, but have you ever tried to shower holding a naked baby, shampoo her hair, rinse your own swimsuit, and not drop anything, especially the baby? And no, I am most certanly not going to ever, ever set my girl down on the floor of the shower. I wear flipflops in there for a reason, a good reason, a reason that involves all those stranger's feet & the warm, moist, hospitable environment that 10 showers in a single room create. *shudder* I gag in horror when other women set their babies down - BARE-BOTTOMED! - but I try not to judge. Sure, maybe you can't hold them, but land's sake people, put down a towel or something. That baby is going to get something awful or WORSE on its poor little fat bottom.
.
So yes! Moving away from that awful scenario, it was Wednesday, which is in between Tuesdays & Thursdays, which are both engineering office work days where Am gets a babysitter & I get spreadsheets. Of course, I'm doing some bookkeeping on the side now, so "work" is creeping in all over the place. But I still want my Wednesday to be like a little mini-weekend day for Am & I - minimal housecleaning, fun stuff like playing all afternoon, with no momma doing dishes. (Although Am does enjoy that - it gives her an excellent chance to sneak up on the catfood.)
.
So we went for a stroll! We strolled to the mailbox, we strolled around an easment to a different cul-de-sac, & we explored a "new" playground. It had a nice quick baby-friendly slide, which Amoryn adored (I was holding her from over the side, of course), it had a rocking horse which was quite a bit too big, a dinosaur that was quite a bit too dirty, and a little rocking car that was quite interesting. And there were two swings - one baby-bucket ("for VERY SMALL CHILDREN"), and one regular swing (whose warning I did not read before sitting on). Swinging was warmly recieved, as always.
.
And as we strolled home the long way (because we could), there were wafts & very occasional gusts of spring flirting with my nose. I know spring's not ready to put out yet, but it makes me feel good that she's starting to fix her hair, & decide what to wear, & put on some perfume, & get ready for the big date.
.
And now I have a date with my bed & my little green fuzzy booties, which are an anniversary present from the man. They have removable heatable insoles, & I've been sleeping with them on, & I lurve them almost as much as I love the man. He's so cool.
.
I shall leave you with this warm idea from I Can Has Cheezberger, http://icanhascheezburger.com/

No comments: