Friday, July 16, 2010

The Vorpal Blade Went Snicker-Snack

So I've been working on a small shawl/scarf made from Curious Creek Fiber's Etosha. It was going quite well, until I started to cast off.
.
Turns out, I should have stopped one series of stripes earlier. I shrugged, cast off in yellow, and figured I'd try to cadge another 6m of the purple from someone who went to the yarn tasting.
.
(The fateful join.)
.
Then it occurred to me that that wasn't very re-creatable for a pattern, so I decided to pick back the bound off edge, go back to the prior stripe, and cast off again. No big.
.
.....except have you ever tried to frog mohair? It's fiddly. Turns out that unpicking the bound-off edge of a mohair scarf leads to madness. The above photo (& its 4" of progress) took at least half an hour.
.
So I got a little crazy. And I got the scissors.
Yes, those are my sewing shears to cut off the bound off edge. I figured that I'd lose one, maybe two rows, and still have enough purple to finish the edge.
.
And if it didn't work, there's a firepit in the backyard.
.
Are you shocked yet?
(Not for the faint of heart, no.) (Or the sane, possibly.)
.
Now, the only part of the procedure that really made me think I was an idiot was the fact that I'd JUST vacuumed.
.
I know that it looks quite tidy here, and almost like a finished edge in & of itself. However. This was before the yarn salvage operation began.
.

Yea, and the mohair shreds fell like rain...
.

This part, although messy, was quick enough. A little more fraught with tension; I was starting to wonder if I'd have enough yarn, and if a three inch piece of yarn was long enough to save for potential spit-splicing. I was also wondering how awful spit-splicing mohair would be - hairballs, they aren't just for cats anymore?
.

I decided to make the cut-off length six inches. And after I vacuumed, I bound off. Again. And this time, there was enough yarn. Thank heavens. I didn't really want to light this on fire:

(Sneak peek of Thaylor, a striped scarf/shawl that has a crocheted neck edge. I stash-dove & used a wee bit of Oban - also from Curious Creek Fibers. Thaylor's release is coming soon; provided that we all survive Stampede!)
.

(Yes, I crocheted. I figured after the scissors business that it would have to go well. I was right.)

No comments: