Monday, May 18, 2009

Ha-ha! Home for a couple weeks.

The road, the road. We've been on the road. Last weekend we went west to see "Gate Gamba"; this weekend we went east to see Gran & Uncle Gorilla & Nena.
.
It was a great weekend, with some pleasingly okay weather (no snow! a little sunshine!), some bbq (steak! potatoes! chicken! cheese toast!), and lots of family (Grampa stopped by the lake to see us too!).
.
Amoryn was almost completely perfect; apart from climbing on top of a picnic table repeatedly, then looking at me & saying "noOo"* when I asked her to get down. That was the last time, & was closely followed by us leaving the bbq supper & going back to the cabin. The hosts & other guests all understood, or most of them; there were grandparents & parents. The two teenagers might not have totally got it, and wished that they could leave too, but hey, that's teenagers.
.
There was also some work - the menfolk put in the docks (yay! I'm not a menfolk! Another reason to celebrate my womanhood!), and mom & I tidied the cabin, & arranged the deck furniture, and raked & bagged all the leaves. (Five big bags. FIVE, not three, as the man thought.)
.
My brother helped the man fix his fishing boat motor - they went to go for a little cruise to make sure that it was working. The pull start wouldn't budge, so they went to work on it. (I'm sure that Gorilla was secretly gleeful; he loves fixing things.) As the pulled the sparkplugs out, some grain came out. Like, wheat. Turns out that an enterprising & misguided mouse had been crawling up the exhaust pipe all winter & storing his grain all through the motor. The engine was eventually cleared & returned to running order; so all's well that ends well, except for maybe that poor mouse. On the other hand, they didn't catch & kill the mouse, & it's spring now, so it could be worse for the mouse too.
.
Today we drove home. And I vacuumed the living room, & snuggled my girl, & we made cookies. I actually just got up, with the fearful sensation that I had left the last pan of the cookies in the oven, to find that no, I hadn't. I was so pleased my my mis-remembered efficiency that I rewarded myself with a couple more cookies. Yay me!
.
And now, I'm going to go & catch up on my recorded CSI's. Mmmm, murder & chocolate chips.
.
.
*Yes, she did in fact have three rather petulant syllables in her 'no'.

No comments: