Monday, November 30, 2009

"GREY CUP LOSS STRIKES MAN STUPID"

(Let me preface by saying this made me laugh FAR more than it made me grind my teeth. I'm sharing the tale so that you, too, can laugh.)
.
So, the man & one of his cronies had rented a suite at Flames Central to watch the game. There were a number of work associates & family members, and the uniting theme was "GO RIDERS!".
.
I figured it was going to get very drunk outside for them all, but as the man had arranged rides for he & his brother to get there & back, I honestly didn't care. I went to tuck myself & Eleni into bed (Am, A_____, & A__ all had done the same, at various earlier times), and was just watching her little eyes flutter shut when the phone rang.
.
It was J____, and he was a mess. I gathered that they were on the train, and they needed a ride. Now, after grinding my teeth, I agreed to pick them up. I then called the man back, and interrogated him as to what station they were at. We established it was Lion's Park, because they hadn't gone underground yet. Groovy. I sneak the monitor downstairs to A_____ (who I wanted to let sleep, because she has a long day of driving today), and I take the (since disturbed) baby with me. Halfway to the train, I call to see where they are - if I should circle the wagons, as El doesn't approve of parked cars at all.
.
"We're downtown..."
"WHAT? You said you were on the train!"
"We were, but it all got messed up."
"*sigh*... I'm not going to come downtown & get you."
"No! No, we're stupid. Cut us loose, you go home. We'll take the train and then find a cab. Sorry babe, we're stupid. Love you, sorry. It's been terrible."
.
I went home, put my pj's back on, and settled Eleni, again.
.
This time, my cel rang, so at least it didn't jar El out of that delicate drifting off state.
.
"We're at Dalhousie, come and get us."
"No, sweetie, I can't. I looked up the bus schedules tough, and if you get the 199 it will bring you home."
"Oh, no we can't do that*"
"No, really, it's super easy, the next one is only a little ways away, I checked. Go there."
"Okay, we'll figure it out..."
.
I put Eleni to bed. That protective Saskatchewan girl instinct kicks in (that especially worries about drunks in freezing weather), and I call them back.
.
"Where are you?"
"Oh, it's crazy. No one will take us home - we keep asking people. But there's no cabs."
"Okay, I will come and get you. Where are you?"
"The carwash."
"Okay - STAY RIGHT THERE. I am coming RIGHT NOW to get you, okay?"
"Oh, thanks sweetie."
.
I'm a block from the carwash, and I call again.
"Where are you?"
"We're in a cab, just coming up the hill."
"WHAT? I'M A BLOCK AWAY FROM THE CARWASH!"
"Oh, no, but it was cold. The cab is taking us home."
*teeth grinding* "Fine. I'll see you at home, shortly.
.
Idiots. I love them both - but dummies.
.
.
.
*They couldn't. I think they were too drunk to read.

No comments: