Saturday, February 06, 2010

It Had To Happen Sometime

Yesterday, something happened that I've been expecting ever since I became a parent. It was not so good, but not so bad, either. I told the man about it later.
.
Me: "You know the african violet I was thinking needs to be cut back a bit?
Him: "What did you do to it???"
Me: "Nothing!!! Actually, no, I picked it & up & put the dirt back into it."
Him: "What happened?" *crash from living room* "Oh."
.
In good news, when Am & I talked about the plant, and how it fell down, she didn't try to dodge responsibility for doing it.
.
In bad news, she didn't really seem to 'get' why plants shouldn't be knocked over.
.
Oh well. We've got lots of plants, and most of them are far too big for her to knock over. I'm more attached to our outside plants - houseplants are just so needy, you know? I love to plant & weed & deadhead & water, but I need that winter break to keep my interest. I guess I'm a love 'em & leaf 'em kind of gal.
.
In other news...
My giant shawl is giant. It's enormous. I'm going to wash it again, & chuck it into the dryer, based on some Ravelry reading I did. It's ridiculous this way.
.
I'm plying some Noro Sekku (lace weight cotton/wool/nylon/silk) on my cheap-o plying spindle, and the spindle is slated for some woodshop time because it kinda sucks. I realize not everything is a Jenkins, but really. Unacceptable. Also, Noro, you have surprised me pleasantly - the yarn does have some breaks in it, but they've tried to make the colorways work & have sort of spliced the breaks, instead of the usual color-KNOT-color trick they usually pull.
.
The grey(t) cardigan is almost knit to the hip - which means only hem, collar, and sleeves. I was a little freaked out because I thought I only had a couple balls left, then I realized that I had only stuck a couple into the knitting bag; the rest are all waiting in the wings. (It's been my nursing project.)
.
The mobius cowl continues to creep along in it's pretty fashion; I've realized that while I am passionately committed to Addi lace points, I'm not so taken with their regular needles. Luckily, I've realized this after only two regular purchases, so I can focus on investing money in wonderful needles that I love, instead of spending on the regulars and being stuck with an expensive tool I'm not that fond of. Also, I maybe should have knit this project on a slightly larger needle to get a softer fabric; but maybe it'll block to how I want it. I'm NOT going to frog & reknit; it's just a slight preference issue, not a "problem".
.
I have a theory about a dying technique that I probably won't try until we're back from Hawaii. It was inspired by a story about omelettes I once heard, and if you can guess what I'm planning, I'll give you a skein of yarn. (Okay, well, if by some freak chance I get multiple correct guesses, I'll pick a name at random.)
.
The man & I went on a date last night - birthday drinks for a friend. It was great. I wore pretty shoes & everything.
.
All right... the laundry is all done, but the books are still in progress! No rest for the wicked!

No comments: