Monday, February 01, 2010

Shawl-y You Jest...

So, we just got back from a weekend visiting my family. (The man was gone skiing, so it was just us girls.) As always, the return entails laundry. I've been quite happy with my Shawl That Counting, so I brought it along to nurse & snuggle under. I chucked it in the wash with everything else.
.
It's a superwash, so I had no fear there. I thought it was a little rude to toss it into the dryer though, so I took it to the spare bedroom dry it flat.
.
And I stretched my arms to lay it out - and it kept going. It's grown to approximately twice it's previous size, length & width. It's enormous. I did my best to carefully (& evenly) make it smaller, but man. It's much bigger. I'm curious to see how it will dry.
.
I'm also curious - will all garter stitch shawls do this? The other two didn't, but one was acrylic boucle (hangs head, admits that I was a newbie), and one was a silk. Is it perhaps just wool garter stitch shawls?
.
Could I have quit knitting at 40,000 stitches & got a shawl that was the perfect size?
.
Does anyone know the answers to these questions? I'll even take theories.

No comments: