Sunday, April 11, 2010

Blog Blog Bloggity Blog

I feel like I haven't blogged in a while - I think it's partially because we got back from vacation & then a whirlwind of work commitments for the man started. He's had three trips away for at least three days each in three weeks plus we all had Easter at his folks... It does throw a bit of a wrench into the regular schedule. That's okay though; the man gets home tomorrow, and then things settle out.
.

But Easter! Easter was lots of fun - and Am & her cousin M______ (who is seven, and delightful) had a really good weekend. The pinnacle was totally Sunday morning, when the Easter bunnies got together & hid jellybeans AND eggs through the house. M_____ woke up first (because she understands that Easter is coming), and was very good and managed to be quiet for 23 minutes until Am woke up too.
.
Then the fun started. "Holy moly, lookem all the beans!" exclaimed Am, and the hunt was on. She'd find the odd egg, then put it back. M_____ even tried to share, and put some eggs into her basket, but Am would take them out, hide them, and go back to collecting jelly beans.
.
After they were all found, she went to climb onto the couch. You can see that her basket has quite a long handle, and it was a little tricky to maneuver. She ended up dumping half of her basket as she climbed up; but she thought that she'd just found another stash! "WOW! More BEANS!".
.
(She doesn't even need Alzheimers to hide her own Easter treats, ha-ha!)
.

Am has also been very interested in her sister lately - she's always been very protective, but now she's starting to just hang out & talk to her. Eleni lights right up for her big sister; and I melt into a giant puddle of motherly goo. Am's also very keen on trying to help Eleni - she mostly expresses this by stuffing her bink into her face, and sometimes she gives her a blanket.
.
We've had a sort of unusual weekend - an uncle died unexpectedly. What makes it odd is that he was estranged*, so the funeral was a little surreal. Mom was here for the service, and so that was also odd - a very brief visit, without most of our usual jaunts. Now it's just me & the girls. (The man's away)
.

.
It was a very princessey morning, though. Shortly before this photo was taken, Am had me all decked out in the princess finery, right down to a scepter. So I guess if we're all dancing princesses, then things can't be all bad. We also had a lovely visit with Grampa D & Gramma D this morning via Skype - which I totally LOVE!
.
I've been finishing things off like crazy - there's the cowl & the wee bag that I'd been working on, as well as a bonus impulse project that turned out beautifully. I'm also knitting my last two rows on a Colonnade scarf, but I'm sort of stalling on that - I'm afraid I did one too many repeats & I'm not going to have enough yarn to finish. If that's the case, then I'll have to rip back four rows of knitting & one pattern row - not really that bad, but I'm feeling a little 'Schrodinger's cat' about it - if I don't finish knitting it, then the yarn is both sufficient & insufficient at the same time. I'll do a bigger blog post about FO's with pics later.
.
I've also recently finished two non fiction books - a little unusual for me to read two non-fiction books in a row. They were both good; Catching Fire: How Cooking Made Us Human, by Richard Wrangham, and How We Decide, by Jonah Lehrer. Catching Fire is exactly what it sounds like; an interesting theory & support about how cooking our food is what caused/helped us to evolve to be what we are now. Totally trashes raw foodists & has a couple interesting sociological theories in it too. I read most of it on holiday. How We Decide was an impulse buy just before we left on holiday - I picked it up, thought it sounded interesting, then put it down when I was in the lineup for the cashier. Then I realized I was at risk of becoming a caricature - ohmigawd, I can't decide if I should buy a book about decision making, lol. So I bought it. I'm glad I did - it's not a self-help type of book at all, it's more of a discussion about making decisions on an emotional vs. rational basis, and the physical processes in our brains when we do both or either. Not what you'd expect, necessarily.
.
And now, since I've already acted on my decision to spend the girl's afternoon nap by catching up on CSI & blogging (following the emotional choice, as opposed to cleaning the bathrooms, which was the rational option), I should move on to the next part of the day & wake the girls up. Ah, there's Eleni now; how sweet of her to save me the effort!
.

.

.

.
* - Or we were estranged? It was strange, at any rate.

No comments: