Friday, April 16, 2010

The Mouths Of Babes...

It's been a long, tough, up & down week. We had an appointment at ten this morning, halfway across the city. I don't drive over there terribly often, & I made a wrong turn that I realized before I was even half way through the intersection.
.
If my plan of leaving super early had worked, then it would have been no big deal. That plan had been foiled by my petit entourage, so we had just-enough-time-if-the-lights-are-all-green.
.
As I was trying to figure out a fix, I muttered "Sh*t, sh*t, sh*t."
.
From the back seat came a chipper little voice: "You made a mistake Mommy? You made a d*mmit jebus?"
.
Me, surprised: "What?"
.
Amoryn, helpful: "You made a d*mmit jebus?"
.
Me, incredulous: "Yes honey, I guess that I did."
.
I managed not to laugh, shriek, or cry. I guess that bad news is that we (obviously) must be swearing in front of Amoryn. The good news is that she's using what she learns correctly, and in an imaginative way. And not at daycare.
.
The appointment was for a consultation at a breastfeeding clinic. It started on Sunday; my body seems to have decided that it's done producing milk. When Am was about six months, the same thing happened. However, Am could have formulas... and with Eleni's milk/soy protein issues, there is no formula option that works*. So the bad news is that I've spent all week waiting for the appointment & frantically trying to visualize my body into making milk for an increasingly hungry & unhappy baby who is sleeping less & less (because she's hungry).
.
(I've been taking fenugreek too; it's an herb that is supposed to help with milk production. Not so much there, but its side effect is in full swing: my sweat smells like maple syrup. Really.)
.
I was going to go to my regular doctor on Wednesday, but she was sick. I thought well, we can tough it out to Friday. We couldn't, though; yesterday I called their office & threw myself on the receptionist's mercy & got in with another doctor in the clinic. And I got me some, um. Triclinium? No, that's a kind of Nabatean building. Um. It's, erm, motilium. Yes. Motilium. So the good news is that it will help increase my milk supply, and while I may have to stay on it for a while (to keep the milk supply going), the amount that passes through to Eleni isn't harmful. So it's great & a huge relief that she will be able to keep nursing.
.
(It's not ego related, my desire to keep nursing. I want Eleni to grow as fast & well as possible; and I can imagine the challenge we'd face if she weaned at six months. Also, I like having that close time with her.)
.
And speaking of the mouths of babes, apparently Eleni has a type of thrush. The good news is, we've got (more) meds; the bad news is that she hasn't been registered on the man's medical plan yet. However, we can afford it, so that's still good.
.
And the last thing about the mouths of babes....



MUSH!! (She isn't really feeding herself, of course. That's her vanity spoon, that she gets to wave around & chew on, while I shovel mush.)
.
Also,

"Balilla" yogurt. Am helped herself to a second serving, right out of the container, whilst I was nursing Eleni. Don't feel bad if you're shocked, Mr. Potatoes Head was too.
.
All rightey... off to clean the kitchen, and organize the piles of paper that have accreted. I've got what seems like an inordinate amount of printouts from the pharmacy...
.
.


.
.


*Even the expensive hypoallergenic ones. They are all soy based.

No comments: