Thursday, September 30, 2010

Flight of Fancy

Introducing the Flight of Fancy... a scarf that's more than a swatch.
.
When I was in Napa, I was introduced to the lovely concept of tasting flights – a carefully selected sampling of wines. Sometimes they are thematic, and sometimes they’re just a chance to try different types.
.

With all the yarn samples, yarn tastings, and yarn leftovers in my life, I realized I wanted something similar; something to evaluate the yarns and how they behave in a few basic stitch configurations. I developed this so that it can be knit for an infinite length with an infinite number of yarns – whether you have just enough handspun to make a muffler, or you have an entire smorgasbord of yarns to make a long, striped scarf.
.

Whatever you call your finished project, you’ll have something that shows you how stockinette, reverse stockinette, seed stitch, and cables look in your chosen yarns. And as part of the process, you get to wind all your wee bits of yarn into one big, fun ball - it's like a magic trick!
.
As I mentioned, I've designed it for Bess & Make 1's fall retreat; if you're lucky enough to be going, you'll be getting a copy. It's also available now for $2.oo USD.
.
I'm finding it amazingly compelling to be able to compare the different yarns as the stripes get knit out of the ball!

No comments: