Wednesday, September 01, 2010

Thank Heavens That's Over

I got a haircut yesterday. It was a dramatic change - I like my hair long, but I was beginning to feel oppressed by the amount I shed. I mean, everyone sheds, but when the hair is like a foot & a half long...
.
And then there was the diaper incident with Eleni. I'm not going to say anymore; but the hair had to get shorter.
.
I did my research, chatted with a couple of the people important to me, googled about a zillion pictures, picked my favorite ones (including those with curly hair), sent the pics to my hairdresser, and talked to her about what I did & didn't want.
.
It should have been great. G___ has been great in the past; I really thought I had it covered this time. But no. Somewhere along the line, I was misinterpreted.
.
I put my glasses on (the real-life version of the big reveal) & thought "errr, no...." I hoped that I was wrong, looked at my watch, realized that I had to go to get Amoryn, and decided to just leave, go get the girl, shower the gunk out of my hair, and see what the cut was really like.
.
This was maybe not the best move. Turns out the hair cut was, well, disappointing. The bangs are too short, and the crown was too long. The crown is fixable, but I have to admit that I'm feeling a bit grudging about the bangs. I had like, a foot & a half of hair to work with, people!
.
When it was all styled up & I got home, I thought: "I look like Kate Gosselin".
But with shorter bangs. And as C___ pointed out, not even Kate Gosselin looks like Kate Gosselin anymore.
.
After I washed it & tried a variety of things, I established that I could look like a weird amalgam of two of the Three Stooges , or like that guy from the Flock Of Seagulls.

.
Yes indeed. It was that bad. So I called my hairdresser, and after several conversations, we established that there was maybe an opening for tonite, but no, howzabout Friday? But no, Saskatchewan. Howzabout the 16th? I told her point blank that I couldn't wait that long, & if she couldn't help me, I was going to take matters into my own hands. Still nothing.
.
So I did something that I haven't done in about a decade. I took blades to my own hair. (A razor this time, and little thread snips. Scissors aren't so great.) I spent a couple years cutting my own hair when I last had it short, so I knew that I could come up with something that wouldn't be so awful.
.

I think it's okay - I'll have to live with it for a couple days & see. I might go shorter yet. Hard to say. I'm pleased with the hair being short - I feel liberated! And taller. And less pain - Eleni is quite a grabby little girl.
.
And now, the only question left is... since I'm doing the time warp with my hair, do I want to go all the way, stop by the drugstore, and do *something* to the color of my hair????


No comments: