Friday, February 27, 2009

Ssssss, ni-night.

I had the nicest day today. It's not even over yet, & I can confidently say that. In fact, I even had a rough night – and by this, I mean that Amoryn was awake several times, in varying states of grimmel. She didn’t eat her supper, & only got her bedtime snack, and, well. Our girl needs more food than that to feed the machine, you know? So she was Wide Awake at 4 am, convinced that one tummy rumble meant that it was morning. Instead of soothing her, whispering hush, then tiptoeing back to bed, to repeat in 20 minutes (which would be the usual policy), instead I crawled in with her. I was tired, and figured that I’d be further ahead to try & sleep in with her, and the man would get better sleep too.
.
The sleep part of the solution was a little rocky. Am was glad for the company, & the snuggle, & whispering “shhhhhh” and “ssssssss”* back & forth, but she does have the unnerving habit of trying to grab your eyelashes. It might be because she so rarely has access (my glasses are always on my face), or just one of those perverse character traits that toddlers have. At any rate, eventually she got tired of trying to coax me into playing with her, or sing with her, etc, etc, and we both (blessedly) fell asleep.
.
The waking up is what was so nice. Like myself, Am isn’t always happy to get up – but today, she woke up when she was ready, and she was a collection of sunbeams & joy. Baby unicorns pranced about giddily, blowing soap bubbles of happiness. Tiny elfin creatures sang paeans of joy (to the tune of “Baa Baa Black Sheep”). She was totally awesome, and incredibly adorable. I didn’t have the camera with me**, but I do have these photos, which I took soon after she moved into her big-girl bed in January. She’s wearing the pj’s from Auntie A____ & Uncle J____, and the pale blue color, plus the blues of her sheets & wall, are just about the perfect setting for her.
See? Happy girl.
.
Big girl bed (it's a double). (Very Hungry Caterpillar, & turquoise flannelette snowflake sheets).
.

With lots of room for the menagerie (Bear, Rowr, the grey cat, pink bear, the rattley fish, the Steelers bear, Sheep, the caterpillar, and I'm sure a couple other things). Also, three books, four pillows, and two afghans. Some pillows are strategically placed to ward of her falling out of bed. We've managed to pare down the crew to a couple regulars (Bear & Rowr & Sheep), and a small cast of rotating stuffies. With maybe a book, if it's a softcover, & she hasn't been abusing books lately.

.
Also, it was sunny. And my chiro bent the crap out of my back, in a good way, but also in a sort of painful way that required I lay as straight as possible afterwards, with my feet up on the couch. This luckily coincided with Am's nap time, & the afternoon appearance of my friendly neighbourhood sunbeam. After I established that it was MY sunbeam, cat, you go find your own, I had a lovely time. I knitted on my Taiyo cardi, and while part of my brain is wondering what on earth body type this will look good on, the rest of my brain is oretty happy about the progress. I suspect you, Intarweb peeps, will be called upon to cast judgement (or at least offer opinions) at some point in the future.
.
Yesterday, the man found/figured out how to find the Season 4 BSG episodes on the web, then hook his computer up to the tv. So, now we're all caught up, & ready for tonite's new episode, in real time & everything. (Although we are PVR'ing it.) The man also did something very sweet & generous for me today, and honestly, I can't figure out where I rated the luck to meet this amazing guy. He's fantastic. Also, he walked to the store to get milk & croutons for our supper tonite.***
.
Well, I'm going to get back to my great day. Hope yours was good too!
.

(Two of my founts of happiness, in sunshine, with flowers, which are more of my favorite things.)
.
.
*Amoryn doesn't make a "sh" sound yet; her version is "ssssss".
.
** What? Not taking the camera for the four-am fuss? How strange.
.
***Not all that we are having. Even as a borke student, I don't recall ever feasting on croutons & milk for supper. The man is slow roasting a pork shoulder, Hawaiian Kalua Pork Style, & the croutons are for our amazing spinach caesar salad. More on that later.

No comments: