Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Updates from the couch.

Or, more properly, the loveseat. The man gets the couch; he's bigger.* Also, if it's sunny, I'll get the sun sitting here. Maybe I'm not a complete altruist. But it's not sunny today, so I must be nice. At any rate, I'm ensconced on the loveseat with my computer. (I fished my laptop & power cable out from the luggage. I've sporadically unpacked - as in "Where's that thing that I need?" - and left everything else in the bags. Did I mention that we were fully packed (other than morning toiletries), and had decided to go, when I got sick?)
.
I've been poking about the internet. I know I sort of resolved not to just read read read, & be nothing but a pair of eyes surfing around the internet - I should write, & stuff, but man. How much moaning about minor (yet vile) illness can a blogger blog? What else is new in my life?
.
Well, in the holiday knitting, as the man & I were packing, he did look askance at my knitting pile. "Do you need to take that?" "Um. Yes? Um. (looking at stuff that realllly needed to be packed) No? I can get yarn for projects there?" "I thought that was the point." Hm. Okay. So instead of packing all my potential travel fantasy companions, I just took one**. And my interchangeable needles. And some extra dpns.
.
I decided I deserved some easy (pre-decided) knitting, & fished out the project. It's a Liesl ( http://ysolda.com/store/sweaters/liesl/ ), in a test dye of mine that I overdyed in my slowcooker. The colour was wretched before, but now it's luverly. And soft. In my head, I'm aiming for sort of a shruggable cardi; something to keep my shoulders and arms warm as I knit or read. If it's really great, then super! I'll be able to wear it with sundresses*** in the office this summer. It's coming along well, I'm pleased so far, although it is a mystery as to how I will finish it. It's got a high neck, but long sleeves? Short? How long will the body be? I'm not sure how far my yarn will get me, because I'd just dyed a random pile of it to see how it would take the dyes (& my ideas). (I'm not knitting too much - because - gack - I don't really feel like it. I MUST be ill.)
.
Also, do I have a set of 8mm dpns? Do I have another 8mm circular? And where on earth would either of these items be, if I do have them? I just read the Harlot's post for today, and I admit, I'm feeling a little nervous.
.
I'm also feeling like I shouldn't leave the house, so. I guess if I can't find the needles I need for Liesl's sleeves, that I'll start back on my "plane" knitting idea. There's another project that's been pre-decided. Sometimes, it's the deciding that seems to be the hardest part of any project.
.
As a note, when I was discussing my holiday fantasy knit-list, I mentioned Val's yarn, and that I'm finally pleased with it. Please note! My original dissatisfaction was because of my original and GARISH dye-job. I had a great idea, but some lurid execution. Val's yarn was in no way to blame, & I look forward to going home & stopping by to see her sheeps again. And maybe get some more yarn, too. (http://lifewithsheep.blogspot.com/) (Someday I'll get clever & figure out how to embed a link behind a word. It's like I almost know, but today is not my day for figuring it out.)
.
Another benefit of being at home is that we can continue watching the Battlestar Galactica's that we have borrowed from C & piled up in front of the DVD's. I used to never have a television, you know, and I guess that I was a little bit of a granola girl. I just could not figure out how you end up with a tv show fixation. Hah. Thanks to Tony Soprano, Gil Grissom, & the Adama boys, I guess I've learned. Although we can't watch any more until the man's talk radio show is done. I only wish I was joking.
.
And that's all for today folks... I guess I did have something to say! Who would have ever known? (When I remember/figure out where the camera is, I'll take a pic of Liesl. For now, text-heavy entry.)
.
.
*And so I let him have the couch because I love him, & he needs the space, not because of the classic bully "he's bigger than me".
**Took to the hallway, then the closet.
***Men! Why do you keep the AC turned up so high! Do you not realize that it essentially limits your enjoyment of ladies in sundresses? If it is July, and every woman in the office is wearing a turtleneck (with a bolo tie, 'cause Stampede, yo), you're doing it wrong.

No comments: