Thursday, February 05, 2009

Wowee! Maui?

So! In the continuing saga of "The Robinson Family Try To Go On Vacation", we now have flights booked to take us to Maui & back, with a nice number of days in between.
.
We also have a condo to stay in - and it was only the fifth palce we called. They were the first people not to laugh at us. Did you know February is high HIGH season there?
.
We don't have a car yet, but I have faith.
.
We do have almost everything packed - I'm just going to thin things out some, & we're good to go.
.
Yes, it's not NZ for a month, but it's someplace away & sunny, and it's a (much) shorter flight, and it's going to be just fine. Sure, the USD is a lot stronger than our dollar (as opposed to the NZD), sure there isn't a huge industry devoted to wool & yarn (there are two shops, both small, and one hand-dyer). But. I don't care. It will be fine. It will be lovely. It will be grand. It's actually quite funny - we're crashing the BIL & SIL's vacatino - they're in a condo just up the road for a week or so while we're there! We get to meet up for afternoon cocktails on the lanai! Huzzah! (Or, aloha, or hoolawakamui-yay, which seems a likely Hawaiian cheer, after reading what they name places.)
.
Now, the only decision left is... what color do I paint my toes? I have a serious collection of OPI polish (do you know OPI polish? Best. Nail polish. Ever.), and I've narrowed the selection down to the following - I think of them as true red, trashy red (shiny, and that almost pinky color that I associate in my memory with the cheap Revlon my cousin D___ & I bought as kids), melon, Vietnam Pink (because that's the color I wore to Vietnam), Jewel of India (because that's what it's actually named, & it's stuck in my head), & electric blue.

(The suspects: Thrill of Brazil; You Rock-Apulco Red!; Bright Lights, Big Color; Ladies & Magenta-Men; Jewel of India, & Blue My Mind)
.
(See? That's really their names.) (And Cold FX in the background.)
.
I feel, despite the fact that this could be regarded as a trite thing, that it's a big decision. The appropriate color can set the tone for the entire vacation! And OPI polishes will, in fact, get a girl through three or four weeks of hard wear, provided you base & top coat appropriately. Really! (I have a thing about painting my toes. I like them painted, & I hate them chipped. I have arrived at OPI after some research & experimentation. (Base coat + two - three layers of color + top coat + maybe rapid-dry. Awesome wear. No chipping. It'll grow off before it chips. Also, swipe your nails with polish remover before you base coat - it removes any oils & gets a wicked finish!)
.
I'm leaning towards the trashy red - although Acapulco is in Mexico - or the melon. Or maybe the blue. The red went to Napa last fall, & the pink & the purple aren't right. Also, the red will match Liesl - see?
Isn't she lovely? (ignore the needles sticking out of my armpit, & the bits of white cotton waste thread.) I was having a heck of a time this morning trying to take a pic; rest assured, it actually is a sweater with two sleeves, not a cape, as it appears. I'm currently aiming for long sleeves & a cropped body. Hopefully the end result won't be too 80's. Or too afghan - the stitch is closely based around the Old Shale / Feather & Fan pattern, & we all have a gramma who has a big ole' acrylic throw on her couch. Maybe my cardi will be good camo for my alternate life in an alternate universe, where I'm a superspy, intent on overthrowing the evil empire of Grannies.
.
Maybe I'm still a little short on sleep. That seems more likely. On that note.... zzzz.

No comments: