Sunday, September 20, 2009

Sunshine & Sloth

Ah yes, sunshine & sloth. Two of my favorite things, especial when combined. It almost sounds like it should be a colorway, but what color would actively portray slothfulness? (Sloth the vice, not sloth the animal.)
.
At any rate, we are home. It was a lovely holiday, and I have lots & lots of nice things to say about SoCal, Disneyland, & room service. Due to sloth, however, I'm not going to say much about any of that; it's much better with pics & video. (The camera is over *there*.)
.
Why am I glad to be home? Well, sunscreen is a total necessity there, and my face was breaking out like it was 1992 (jr high, baby). It was HOT there, which I usually totally dig, but the portable furnace that is mah belly quashed a little of that. It's cool enough here that my feet should quit swelling so much.
.
I'm also tired of putting up with conference strangers whose attempts at small talk all revolve around "So, how much longer?" as if this were a jail term, not a pregnancy, and then always goggle in shock when I tell them how much longer I actually have. I guess I should've said "Twenty minutes", just once, to see the response, but I was too sober to be witty. (Ah, the perils of the conference wife. Thankfully, there was only one uninvited belly-petter, and I was braced for her. We met once years ago, when she was snookered on gin, and she told me all about her faith and that she feels so recognized as a woman by the Catholic church. She's totally entitled to her opinions, but the gin-heavy delivery made it a little hard to swallow. I try to follow the unofficial conference wife rules, & 1) Display tasteful amounts of cleavage, & 2) Try to stick to weather conversations with people that you don't know at all, and haven't met before. Whatever. At least she didn't try to pinch or pet Am; I would've gone in with an elbow at that.)
.
I'm very glad to be home in our bed, too. I didn't mind the hotel bed - it was just soft enough for me to sink in enough that I didn't have to get an extra belly-propping pillow. The man slept pretty well for the first half of the trip, but the then the flipping & flopping began. When you pair the man's flipping & flopping around next to me with the babe's flipping & flopping, it was a little hard to get a good sleep. And as always, I lurve my sheets, my precious milllion thread count Egyptian sheets.*
.
And speaking of sleep - do you hear that? It's the noise of Amoryn having her nap, at the appropriate time, with no squabbling. It's a great noise. I didn't get as much done on this holiday with regard to knitting/designing/swatching, because there were limited amounts of nap to work with. Oh well. Better to pack too much knitting than not enough! I don't know if I'd never realized it before, or had just forgotten it, but travel tends to inspire my muse in new directions. So there's lots of observing & very little output; the ideas are sinking in & percolating around.** As a result, I didn't touch the projects that I anticipated I'd make huge progress on. I did start another almost all knit-stitch project - like I needed another one to keep Shawl That Counting company. I guess I did though - STC is too big to be portable now, and this is my last attempt with the $%$@ Koigu. It's been two different things so far, & if this doesn't work, I'm frogging it & giving the yarn to a good home.
.
I did finish spinning up my Sweet Georgia singles - now I just need to decide whether or not to ply them; if so, in what color combos? And what end project do I have in mind? All these decisions, so difficult. That, and the still burning "nap or laundry?" question.
.
.
.
*Only a slight exaggeration.
**Subconscious, I can't WAIT to see what you make out of Orange County. Palm trees, sunfaded tattoos, spanish accents, & air conditioning? Quite a mix.

No comments: