Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Knitless In The Downtown Core!

I forgot my knitting at home today. Weirdly, although I mourned its lack several times, it was not a harbinger of doom. The day was very productive, and mostly positive featuring a morning princess coffee, a scheme with S____ via telephone, a busy day at work (due to training my replacement), a sudden new short term work project, a lovely quick supper, and a nice yoga class.
.
I also confirmed that my scheme to have Am stay in daycare a couple days a week once the baby arrives is good to go - the family I'm splitting with are keen, the daycare is good to go, & I just built a Google calendar to split the days out.
.
I'm super keen as I'm done work maybe next week, maybe not so long after that (thanks recession), and so I'll only be paying for half months of daycare starting in October. Wheee!
.
I'm pretty much okay with being forcefully nudged* out the door. Yes, it rankles a little that they're using "mat leave" as a label, when I'm a contractor & don't get covereage. But, in the long run, it's better to go a bit early, & have good open lines of communication (& valid contracts) in place when I want to go back. (I'm keen on going back to the same company because I've already got everyone there used to the fact that I only work a couple days a week. I don't have to fight that same battle over again. Maybe some of my favorite coworkers will still be there too.)
.
And I like to work. I know Am needs me, and I need her too. But a couple days at the office wearing my "Kourtney" name tag leave me a lot better balanced & rounded to be "mommy Mommy MOMMY!". I'm at peace with that.
.
(I'm not thinking about the schmazoo of sorting out childcare. Like I've said to work & others - it's enough to know that I'd like to go back. Wasting any energy or angst on planning at this point is just senseless. Intentions are all that's needed. The universe will just mock any plans. I know this for a fact.)
.
What else... oh yes! The head cold that ate my weekend, made me disgusting, and has eradicated a significant portion of rainforest**. It's still here, but getting better, & I'm hardly gross at all.
.
The weekend, well. Even though I only participated in less than half of it, it was still grand. More on that later though. I'm off to knit a row, then go to bed.
.
.
.
*Have you seen me lately? The babe is on the grow, my center of gravity is lower, & it takes a pretty solid oomph to budge me once I plant my feet.
**Due to kleenes consumption.

No comments: