Tuesday, June 08, 2010

Here Comes The Cherry Kool Aid..

I picked up a wedding gown from a garage sale about a month ago. If this was your treasured gown, you may want to look away.
.
Although I bet this dress is bringing Amoryn just as much joy as it brought you; possibly more.
.
It was originally an excessive gown - leg'o'mutton sleeves, 14' train, lace insets all over the place, beaded, pearled, sequined, etc. I imagine that it was for a petite Italian with a big Catholic wedding. It was very heavy.
.
I got it home, & broke out the scissors & the lighter. I cut off the sleeves & train, then used the lighter to singe the raw edges (possibly the only time in my life I've said "Oh good, it's polyester"). I bustled it up as much as I could, then sewed some more bustles in so that it would serve as a princess dress for a three year old.
.
It's serving very well.
.
However, I feel a bit squeamish about the prospect of Amoryn playing 'bride'. 'Princess' is bad enough.
.
So I busted out my Kool-Aid, and dumped all the cherry & strawberry I had into a big pot. Then I dumped in the wedding dress. It looked like it was headed for salmon...
.
...but after I ran it through the washer's rinse once, it's ended up as the most demure blush pink, with deeper coral pink appliques. I suspect the cotton in the lace stained better than the polyester of the dress; and the nylon of the mesh actually took the dye.
.
Some of the pearls fell off; that happens every time she puts it on. All in all, I'm well pleased with the debutante dress; and I think Amoryn will be equally delighted.
.
Now to put the hacked off train & sleeves together for a fairy cape... I may get some colored sharpies to decorate that...
.
.
(I discussed various options with a group on Ravelry - the markers aren't my idea. But it's brilliant!)

1 comment:

AdrieneJ said...

What an amazing idea! I'm jealous I don't get to play, too!