Saturday, June 05, 2010

Things We Have Learned Lately

1) The man has been away since Wednesday; I know it's only Friday, but it sure seems like a lot longer than just a couple days. I think that part of it is the weather - it's June! I want to be able to wear shorts! I want to take the electric blanket & the wool quilt off of my side of the bed! I'd like to have to wear sunscreen!
.
I know, I know. It's the weather. There's not a lot I can do about it....
.
2) Appropriate application of color & texture can help cheer me up. This sunny bfl/silk from Pigeonroof Fibers really does help. I mentioned that I lurves it as a fiber, but I was leery of spinning it in case I didn't continue to love it so much.
.
3) I caved & spun a wee little tuft. Suki is modelling the swatch I knitted because I loved the yarn so much. No idea what my end goal is, but I'll be using my spindle and making something to wear next to my skin.
.
4) I say "using my spindle" because M______, marvellous woman that she is, has lent me not one but TWO spinning wheels. The singles on the left of the spindle are my first yarn with a wheel; the far right is what M____ had spun. If you'd seen my first spindled yarn, you would be laughing right now.
.
5) M______ really is awesome. So is her daughter & her grandkids - it was a very fun morning.
.
6) Speaking of fun, as I was unable to resist the wheel, Amoryn was very capably entertaining herself. (Eleni was napping while I was spinning. This is the aftermath.)
.
7) Spinning on a wheel is waaaaaaaaaaaay faster than using a spindle. Yes, I know, DUH. However, it's one of those things that makes more of an impression as an object lesson.*
.
8) Did I mention that I was pretty absorbed by the speedy creation of yarn? Amoryn 'read' all the flyers, too.
.
9) I can take the girls out for meals. I just have to bear in mind that a) Eleni is likely to sneeze spray me with sweet potato at some time & b) shepherding two small people through a meal means that mine will either be rushed, cold, or both. That's okay though; I don't have to do the dishes at the end of it all.
.
9) I finished casting this off. And I lurves it. I would call it my Precious and croon to it, but this is far to soft & warm & fabulous to bear any comparison to poor, cold, slimy Gollum. So instead I've wound it around my neck & I'm snuggling it.
.
10) In the effort to avoid any yarn related object lessons tonite, I am NOT cutting the skein of yarn attached to this project until the morning, when I can do a critical once over in the light of day. So I won't be sleeping with it.
.
11) I stay up too late when the man is away. So I should go to bed now. Sugarplums & new projects can dance in my head!
.
.
*Another thing I learned as an object lesson? Mountains are big. Once you've ridden a bicycle over one, you really grok that. Also, people from BC LIE when they say "rolling hills".

No comments: