Wednesday, June 09, 2010

What Knit To Knit, Episode 1

Welcome to "What Knit To Knit"! Our hosts, Pearl & Aaron, are here to help knitters learn what they should be knitting.
.
This week, we're helping Nadine, an accountant from Dalhousie! She admits that she doesn't look at her yarn that often, but denies that she has a stash problem.
.
Let's go to the stash review room...
.
Pearl: So, Nadine, you admit that you don't look at your yarn a lot, right?
.

Nadine: Well, I get sidetracked from my projects when I do, so I try not to look at it, yeah.
.
Aaron: You know that the yarn in your stash is actually for knitting with, right? I'm not saying that you have to drop what you're working on, but you should visit your stash regularly & work on some of the projects that you feel love for.
.
Pearl: Actually, Aaron, no she shouldn't. Look at this! (Holds up novelty terry yarn.)
.
Aaron: *gasp*
.
Nadine: Hey, that was going to be a swimsuit coverup!!!
.
Pearl & Aaron: *double gasp*
.
Pearl: Maybe it's good that she hasn't gone through her stash a lot. What else is in here? Boucle. Now, boucle can be a good thing, a charming thing. But not like this. This is plastic. This is ugly plastic. Why would they ever manufacture something in these colors?
.
Aaron: And why would you ever buy it?
.
Nadine: Well, *mumbles* it was on sale...
.
Aaron: That happens to the best of us, Nadine, it's nothing to be ashamed of. We all fall prey to insanity when we see sale tags. The big thing - and I want you to pay attention here - is that you need to Let It Go. Get rid of it. Give it to a preschool for them to make arts & craft monsters with... heavens know, I can't think of what else you'd do with this!
.
Pearl: Ooo, now look at this! You should be knitting this! This is a lovely aran, and you even have a classic pattern chosen to go with it! How practical, to put the pattern in the bag with the yarn!
.
Aaron: Wow, that's a great sweater - we're talking true classic, not just code for "it's from the 1970's". Why aren't you knitting this?
.
Nadine: I, erm, I guess I forgot about it.
.
Pearl: See? Look at this color on you. It's perfect.
.
Nadine: It is, isn't it? I guess I see why I should be going through my stash more often...
.
Aaron: That's right. So that beautiful projects can be working their way up in your queue, and things like this *tosses a bundle of yarn that looks like the love child of a muppet & a shar pei* can be 'liberated'.
.
Pearl: Now how about this? Is this something you're knitting for a gift? It's a really nice yarn, you know, natural fibers, good twist. But this color Nadine, this color will be beyond unfortunate on you. Please tell me that you're making this for a friend with a radically different skin tone than you have.
.
Nadine: But it's so sunny! I thought it'd be nice in the winter, you know, with the snow!
.
Aaron: ....in the skein, sunny. On you, sickly. Do you really want to knit a sweater that's going to make you look like you have scurvy?
.
Pearl: You'd be far better off swapping this yellow - beautiful as it is - for a green or purple or ANYTHING that you can actually wear.
.
Nadine: Hmmm.
.
Pearl: Here, look at yourself. *unwinds skein & drapes around Nadine. Nadine looks awful.*
.
Nadine: Gack! Why didn't I think of that before?
.
Aaron: It's the yarn, sweetie. We all get a little drunk on the fumes sometimes. Like we've said, the important thing is to regularly stash dive & prioritize & liberate.
.
Nadine: ...*thinking*... Okay! I'm in! I'm going to commit! First, I'm never going to knit this... and that I could swap.... and...
.
*screen fades to black*
.
*Pearl's voice asking 'is that Shetland? Really? I'd love it...'
.
Tune in next week, where we visit another knitter, and help her refine her choices, and learn... What Knit To Knit!

No comments: