Tuesday, August 11, 2009

And Now For Something Completely Different (aka: Go Team Canada!)

So, I left work early today, and headed over to the Father David Bauer arena to watch the Team Canada (Women) hockey practice.
.

.
Now, you may know that I still haven't learned how to stop on skates. But you may not know that Hayley Wickenheiser is a friend of the family, and I've know her since we were kids. (She lived a couple doors down from my cousins.) At a recent wedding, I asked her if we could stop by to see her Olympic medals sometime - Z was very excited about the idea. (Honestly, the man was interested too). "Sure," she says, "Actually, come by to see a practice."
.

.
We saw more than the practice - which was amazing, and holy cow, what a hard working bunch of women! She toured us through the whole facility - bike room, change rooms, steam rooms, physio room, and a cool conference room too. She aslo gave Z a jersey signed by the team, and the practice puck. Verrrrry cool stuff.
.

(Hayley & Z.)
.
It really is a full time job - and I cannot believe the amazing focus & dedication she has. Also, she's in incredible shape. I just had a hysterical laughing fit, because we're about the same height, and right now, with me at the beginning of the third trimester, I think we're about the same weight. Funny how knitting & pregnancy builds body mass differently than hockey...

.
If you're interested, they have a whole pile of games
coming up, and you can check it out on their website www.hockeycanada.ca . I may not know offside from icing, but I do believe in supporting people who work so hard towards their dreams. I'm planning on making the man take me to a game - the tickets are such an amazing deal, and maybe, this time, when the rules are explained, they might stick in my head*.
.
A quick overview:
DETAILS ON 2009-10 NATIONAL WOMEN’S TEAM SCHEDULE
• 30 games against Midget AAA teams
• Six-game series against the United States (three games in Canada and three games in the United States)
• Three games against Canada’s National Women’s Under-22 Team
• One game against a Junior A team (AJHL’s Calgary Canucks)
• International events include the 2009 Hockey Canada Cup (August 31-September 6 in Vancouver, B.C.); 2009 4 Nations Cup (November 3-8 in Finland); 2010 Olympic Winter Games (February 13-25, 2010 in Vancouver, B.C.)
• TSN/RDS, Hockey Canada’s official broadcaster, will televise four of these games (the gold medal game at the 2009 Hockey Canada Cup, and the Canada-United States games being held in Victoria, Calgary and Ottawa)
.
.
.
*Like crochet, some things just don't stick.

No comments: