Thursday, August 13, 2009

Crisis Averted!

There was a moth in the house.
.
A MOTH IN MY HOUSE!
.
Now, I find moths a little creepy at the best of times -but some of them like eating fibers. That's creepy, as Z accurately observed. So, I'm sitting on the couch, ignoring the end of the football game, browsing through Ravelry*, and a tiny moth goes fluttering by.
.
A MOTH GOES FLUTTERING BY!
.
I gasp, and say a "A MOTH!". And then, because I've just finished a delicious savory lemon tart from Nectar, and there is more saliva in my mouth than the norm, I guess, and I'm so horrified by THE MOTH, I, erm, I aspirated my own spit. And then I started coughing. Because I'm torn between KILLING IT, catching it & releasing it (my usual house-bug policy), and struggling for air.
.
The man looked over from the game. "Are you okay?"
.
*gasp*"A moth! Kill it! THE MOTH! KILL IT!" *sputter*
.
"It's just a moth."
.
*cough*"THEY EAT YARN!" (Sometimes**.)
.
The man looked at me. I did my best to look earnest, sane, & I like I needed that moth killed, while trying to recover from almost choking on my own saliva, & fighting the urge to go & throw my body in front of my yarn cabinet.
.
The man sighed. "Okay, well, just calm down. Where'd he go?" My eyes got a little crazy, I suspect, and he suggested that I turn a light on & we'll get him once he settles by it.
.
I turn my spotlight for knitting at the couch on. The moth circles. I try not to gasp again. The man circles in, lethally brandishing his paper. I'm dancing from foot to foot, still sputtering a bit.
.
POW! BLAMMO! ZAP! BIF! (Okay, it was more like "Smack", but it's so rarely that I get to use Batman sound effects on this blog.) Disaster averted.
.
I think.
.
I'm checking my stash tomorrow. It's almost all in ziploc bags (other than the bad yarn that I don't like any more), and I check it every month or so***, but still. You can never be to careful.
.
.
.
*Are you on Ravelry yet? If you're a knitter, get yourself to Ravelry!
**Sometimes, some types. I'm willing to condemn an entires species to save my stash.
***Yes, I do. Z just asked. I mean, honestly, it's more like I visit my stash every month or so, and moth inspection is just part of the standard check-up.

No comments: