Monday, August 17, 2009

Oh Me, Oh My, Pi'o

I'd like to formally introduce you to my Pi'o hat, which is named after the Hawaiian word for curve. You may have seen it before here... or perhaps as I pranced about like a goofball, enjoying my ribbon. I was so delighted - and surprised! - to see that it had won a ribbon at the Calgary Stampede. I mean, sure I was entering in a competition, but c'mon.

.
This version of Pi'o was knit on holiday in Maui, where I got sand in my toes & my knitting & my design book. I also got lucky in the nicest way*; we'd just started trying, and I was surprised & delighted** that we conceived our second child there. I hope she has some of that great aloha vibe.

.
And so, to give a little back to the universe, I'm making this pattern available for free. (On Ravelry, but email me if you'd like a copy & you're not a Raveler.)

.
Universe, it's a small thing, this pattern, but I really love it. I love it in the dirty spring in our back yard...

.
I love it in the late fall at the lake in Saskatchewan...

.
And I really loved it in Maui.

.
About Pi'o:
It uses one skein of Noro Silk Garden Light, and alternates panels of stockinette with reverse stockinette. It's knit in the round, from the crown to the brim. There are three options for the depth, ranging from beanie-ish to slouchy. If you skip the purling, you get an even simpler, smooth textured hat. The purple version is the smallest; the prize winner is the medium, and the grey/green/orange is the large.
.
Click to download Pi'o now!
.
.
.
*I guess I do mean that literally & metaphorically!
**I mean, c'mon. When does that happen the first month of trying? Other than our first child? (And maybe I was just a little "Oh, bummer, I was really enjoying the trying...")



No comments: