Sunday, August 23, 2009

Turkey Turds & Truth In Advertising

So, I got a kite for the man & the girl a couple Xmases ago. It was a bit of a whim, in that I came across it at Costco, and it hasn't been set up. Until today.
.
Now, I'm realistic about my expectations in life, which means that I thought this kite (packaging illustrated above) would be big, & look a little like a dragon.
.
It's huge. HUGE. (Husband included for scale is 6'6.) The kite is very detailed - it has a tongue, & fangs, & a ruff in addition to a grand wingspan & tail. It has four legs, which all connect to the cord, and it should be very impressive once it's launched. I'm surprised & entertained by how grandly the kite exceeded my expectations, conformed to it's illustration, and made the man curse when he put it together.
.
Changing the subject almost completely, have you ever eaten a turkey turd? They're also known as haystacks or unbaked cookies, and they're delicious & addictive. The man just brought the plate over.
.
(There aren't that many cookies left now.) Because I can't share the cookies with you, Intarweb, I'm going to do the next best thing & share the recipe. Be warned; ever have someone to share these with OR have indomitable willpower.
.
TURKEY TURDS
.
Boil in microwave together for 5 minutes (time will depend on your microwave):
2c white sugar
1/2c butter
1/2c milk
5 TB cocoa (+)
.
(I generally stir them every minute, and count the formal minute count once all the butter is melted, and stop cooking once the sugar is all dissolved.)
.
Quickly stir in:
1 tsp vanilla
.
Add:
1 c coconut (+)
2c oatmeal (+)
.
Stir & drop onto wax paper by the spoonful. Refrigerate until set (if you can wait that long), and enjoy. (I like to increase the cocoa, & find that I always need to increase the coconut & oatmeal.
.
You can tell yourself that they're high in fiber? I have no other rationalizations, other than that they're great to make in hot weather, and they're healthier than rice krispie kake. I think. I like them better, at any rate...









No comments: