Thursday, August 06, 2009

Thank Heavens I Don't Live In Japan

With Am's pregnancy, it was all about the fresh berries. Raspberries, preferably, or maybe blueberries. I was excited with this summer pregnancy, because I thought that I would be able to save some money on the grocery bills.
.
(Fresh berries in January? RIDICULOUS. Also expensive, and they were totally needed.)
.
So, in mid-May, I thought of cherries. Rainier cherries. And then I sighed, and realized that the fresh-fruit budget needed to be adjusted upwards.
.
I have been eating cherries, people. Red cherries, black cherries, and yes, oh yes, those yellow cherries with the coy red blush. YUMMERS. I took the last of the current stash of Rainier cherries to polish off at the office today, and a coworker commented that he's never seen that kind of a fruit, and it was probably some kind of weird genetic mutant.
.
I defended them, then had to check with Google. Wikipedia let me know that they're a cross between Bing & Van cultivars, from 1952, and highly prized. How highly?
.
"Rainiers are considered a premium type of cherry. They sell for $5 per pound or more in the USA and as much as a dollar each in Japan.[2]"
.
We would have had to mortgage the house by now.
.

No comments: