Saturday, August 15, 2009

Pink & Blue

Well, this is a photo heavy post, skimming what we've been up to lately. I noticed when uploading them that they're almost all in pink or blue tones. Appropriate enough; pink for the girl fun, and I've felt a little blue since Z & the man left. The man is back Monday, but we won't see Zeb for a while. She's excellent company - both for myself & for Am - and we both miss her.
.
Wednesday's were Z&K day (Am was in daycare), so we went to the zoo to take pics of the plants. Then we went to Nectar for dessert. I mulled how much moral turpitude I was leading Z into, by taking her for dessert, with no lunch, but hey. What are aunts for? There was some fruit in her lemonade & her cake.
.
I think she liked it, but not as much as me. At least, I ate all of my cake & sorbet, and a heck of a lot faster than she ate her half piece.
.
Isn't it pretty? Lemon chiffon cake with fresh raspberries, & raspberry sorbet. I seriously contemplated getting a second helping for myself, but that would have been excessive.
.
And I don't think I look like I'm in for excesses, do I? I may look smug, but that was such a fine dessert.
.
Then, because the man was out golfing, I suggested that we go out for burgers & milkshakes for supper. The food was a bit of a dud, but what is possibly the most entertaining series of photos ever was taken.
.
It all started when Zeb said "Hey Am, lets stick out our tongues!"
(Am complies, with curled up tongue.)
.
Still going according to plan...
.
This is the part where you can see Am get an idea...
.
...and this is the part where Am tried to lick Zeb's tongue*. Zeb is flailing in disgust, & I'm amazed the photo turned out, I was laughing so hard.
.
Not content with failure, Am licks Z's shirt. If only I'd set the camera to video!
.
And the squealing & giggling continued...
.
In completely other news, I've been spinning.
(Fiber & empty spindle. Color is most true in this pic.)
.
I turned a sizable pile of fluff - baby camel/silk blend that I'd dyed - into 103g of fairly fine & fairly consistent singles. (For me, incredibly so. The man just laughs when he watches me spin now; the yarn used to be a lot... wobblier.)
.
Then I plied them. I think I got about 160m of, erm, the finest & most consistent thing I've ever spun. Between aran & dk? Not sure.
.
And the best news is, I'm not disappointed with it! I'd been a little "huh" about the singles, as they were a good deal muddier than I wanted, but I'm quite enchanted with the finished product. I haven't washed & whumped** it yet, just set the twist with my niddy-noddy, but I expect that due to the incredibly short staple length of the baby camel, I will get a beautiful halo on it.
.
And now I'm for bed. Tomorrow, I plan to finish the laundry, maybe make some cookies with the girl, and sew, knit, or spin. Or all three. Also, I may have another afternoon nap, because I (heart) napping.
.
.
*I swear, that was her idea! The man & I don't lick each other's tongues in public! (In private, behind closed doors, who can say? ;) )
**You soak your fiber, gently wring it out, then take it either to the bathtub or outside, & whump it against something solid until it quits spraying water. Another one of those things that might have a proper term, but whatevs. I get a kick out of the whumping process, sound, & name, so whumping it is.

No comments: