Monday, May 10, 2010

Not A Sticky Note Monday

Well, when I can't even cobble together enough coherence to come up with a sticky-note entry, it's a little ominous.
.
The painting is almost done - the man just has to touch up the crown molding in the upstairs hallway. Then the only thing really left for the house (inside) for now is tearing out the upstairs carpet & laying hardwood. The hardwood's on order, thankfully, so there's a bit of a break before I have to scrape through my memory & come up with exactly what I recall about laying hardwood on a 45.
.
I've finished a project, and am just beginning the last chart on another knitting project. This is exciting, but mostly because I have about seventeen different ideas floating around in my head right now. I'm trying to pick the "best" one - hopefully I'll decide by the time I'm done the current object.
.
(The evaluation of "best" includes - but isn't limited to - a) will I use it? b) is it a pattern idea I can develop? c) do I have yarn for it? d) have I dreamt about it at all - really, sometimes I do dream about my knitting e) how long have I been thinking about it? & f) have I had any really recent strokes of brilliance about it?)
.
I might be ready to pick up the Grey(t) cardigan again - I just couldn't bear to be knitting on something grey for a little while. I think that there's enough green in the yard to offset that now, and I'd like to have the cardigan finished. But I think I still need a new project to cast on - when my knitting muse is this busy, it's good to pay attention to her.
.
The man recently got an iPhone, which means that I got his old Palm pilot! I've just spent the evening configuring it, and have some works in progress in various states AND pdfs for patterns in there, so now I can have my on-the-go knitting in a compact digital format. Exciting.
.
Plus I could get a version of Scrabble for it. The man played about four games with me last year - just enough to whet my appetite, and now he doesn't want to play anymore. Ditto for his feelings on crib. On the other hand, I can't play crib & knit, so it's not a total loss.
.
There's a couple new tasks on the horizon that are also going to lead to not-so-great blog posts. I've slowly & ruthlessly been decluttering, cleaning, & organizing the house, and the only holdouts now are the man's office, the top of the fridge, and the basement. Yeah, I know - it didn't sound so bad until I said "basement". It's mostly the books (which I'm re-organizing, alpahabetizing, and partially double stacking) and my work area, which is "tidy", but not so functional. (Like a pretty kitchen that's not so great to cook in.) Obviously, the plan is to increase the function & make the space a little more inspiring. The biggest problem is that the laundry hangs down there to dry, and totally kills the joy of the space for me. It's not always there, and I know that I could take it down and fold it, but I don't want to if it's not mine - and I don't want to risk setting a bad precedent. (I adore that that the man & I have/do separate laundry.)
.
The other new task is... Amoryn is finally ready for potty training! It's been a long wait, but today, at her agitation, we went to real underwear. There were two mistakes, but a couple successes, and we're very proud of her. Here's hoping that the successes soon outnumber the mistakes. Until then, I'll be heavily editing what my first impulse to say & blog is.
.
(Honestly! I know you're not supposed to freak out over the mistakes, but my first impulse when somebody pees on me is "AAAGH!".) (Believe it or not - that's an edited thought.)
.
It's late now, Intarweb, and I can't think of too much to say. I'm delighted at the response that my Mistaken Shawl has received - there's been over 500 downloads on Ravelry! I know several people have yarn to cast on - I'm eager to see the projects start popping up. I feel a little bit like when Amoryn started to learn to walk - I'm excited, but my big part in the process is over, so stand back & let her go!
.
And now I'm going to bed... and if you're reading this tomorrow afternoon, pretend that I'm having a nap. I probably won't be, but I bet it's something that I'll think about wistfully at least once!

No comments: