Sunday, April 26, 2009

Busy, busy, busy.

I think that I have realized - on all levels of my consciousness - that I will have less time once Sandy arrives.
.
I say this because I'm actually tackling the things on my "To Do" list. Some, anyways, Today, I actually spent some time sorting out paperwork for our ongoing corporate year - instead of leaving it for once, maybe twice a year. That was good.
.
I'm attempting to catch up on my photos - uploading, printing, mailing around, etc. Still in progress.
.
I've also picked up/started a bunch of sewing projects. My knitting muse must be getting interference from the snow, because man! Project after project is not going well, is not satisfying me, or is defying expectations &/or attempts at gauge. I plan on asking you advice about much of that soon, Intarweb.
.
So I'm sewing. Witness below:
(This is our basement/my studio. It's cold, but almost all mine, & I love it. It has a view of the yard & a walk-out door. I share with our library & the laundry. And access for the guest bedroom, too. I is very lucky. The flooring was what we registered for for our wedding; we had enough towels & toasters.)
.
In the left foreground, please note three dresses: washed & shrunk,cut out & ready to be sewn, two for Amoryn, one for Sandy & I.
.
On the stool, please note a pile of fabric, washed, shrunk, & destiny assigned: 1) flannelette, to back new throw for upstairs couch 2) glorious t-knit batik - gorgeous - in browns & purples - for a summer dress slated for wear to work &/or weddings 3) also glorious t-knit batik - gorgeous - in pinks & fuchsias, for a top & 4) the last of the fabric that matches the loveseat upstairs - recovering two of the couch cushions & making a throw.
.
Midground center - a little blankie I'm making for Am - she loved the whole cloth of one of her little dresses so well that I picked up more, along with some tie-dyed flannelette. And some really sparkly accent bead/button things. She's never tried eating buttons off of the man's shirts, so I'm going to assume that she's smarter than Cebu (old cat), & go for it.
.
Mid ground right - a pile of upholstery that used to adorn the couch cushions upstairs & down. Now in the process of being revamped into well, some other things.
.
On the table, there is (among other things), the slightly corrupted accounting file for our company that I'm trying to resuscitate, instead of re-keypunching the whole year. I don't want to talk about it.
.
But on the big chair, see? Those two lovely cushions, so nicely coordinated with the decor? Subtly lifting the colors of the big chair? They are my completed test runs on the cushions for upstairs. I hate upholstering, but I think I may have finally figured out how to remove some of the pain: a) multiple test runs & b) let go of any preconceived notions of "efficiency".
.
The little chair in the corner - which currently features rust pheasants (oooooo) is also slated for a facelift of some kind. Not sure what, but I have fabric for that too. (All of the basement fabric has carefully been aged for 3 years or so - and they were all on killer sale in a clearance bin. Like $1.29/m ish. Wicked.)
.
And I reorganized Am's downstairs toys - you can't really tell, but they're on shelves against the window. The shelves are the same as upstairs:
They provide easy display & access of toys, so that am can easily decide what she wants to play with next. Did you know, "Play" is one of her words now? I love how she says it.
.
And how she does it, so thoroughly, as the photo above attests. She helps to clean up before bed though!

No comments: