Friday, June 05, 2009

Well.

I have an idea for a blog post - a funny one - and I'll be swoggled if I can get Amoryn to cooperate with me.
.
Between the combination of being hung up on that idea, and the man being out of town, I feel like I have less words than usual. I suspect I would be a far more lax parent if I were a single parent - also, a lot crazier. She's been teething, and one night we had cereal bars, popcorn, & apples with peanut butter for supper. She'd eat it without screaming about it, and honestly, that's all I really cared at that point. I adore my girl, but after about three hours of irrational screaming, I become less concerned about calming, comforting & explaining*, and more concerned about making it stop & not start again.
.
I always stay up too late when the man's out of town - or at least, I do for the first three days. I guess it takes that long for me to adjust to the lack of hot-water bottle. The benefit is, that I've got lots of knitting done**. Annie's Meret (she knit it at the Knitting Room, it's by Wooly Wormhead) made me realize that I need a summer weight hat to wear - all my others are wool (hot) or silk wool (also hot). So I picked up some yarn, with every intention of knitting the exact same hat, but.
.
.
It's a slightly different gauge, & by the time I goofed around & sorted that out, I'd gotten a different idea in my head... so now, while it no longer looks like the above, and it is becoming closer to a hat, it's not even remotely related to Meret. I'm still not sure if I'll like the final shape - it may trend unfortunately towards Klingon brow-ridges - but we'll see. It's not much knitting, and it's really pretty.
.
(And, for a cotton yarn, I'm mostly enjoying knitting it! It's a chained construction, so there's a little bit of stretch inherent in that.)
.
All right. Back to the List Of Things To Do.
.
Oh, & I cast off the NY scarf. And the teeny little ball of yarn that was left did in fact have another purpose in it's life - it became a cat toy. Arrg. I think I'm come down harder on the cat for that if I didn't understand the visceral attraction to yarn that he feels too. We just express it differently.
.
.
*Usual tactic for emotional outbursts - calm her down, comfort her if she needs it, then explain that she's mad/frustrated etc, and that's okay, but next time, no throwing books/screaming/etc. Works pretty well, although I feel a bit granola crazy when we break into this routine at the mall. Oh well.
**I was also planning on watching - savoring - my long-saved, much-anticipated season final of CSI. HOWEVER. It has been deleted. I was tempted to delete all of his historical documentary thingies, but decided that would be shallow & vindictive. I don't mind shallow, but I do try to avoid vindictiveness, it's a bad color for me.

No comments: