Friday, March 06, 2009

Ah, the end of the day.

Yes indeed, it's the end of a busy day. I've accomplished, well, some. Lots? I went to the office, battled dragons there, picked up Am, successfully fed both of us supper, snuggled, knit a little, then sort of reformatted the blog. And I made brownies. Amoryn helped. And bless her, she's still too young to know that brownie batter tastes good! (I made sure to lick my spoon when she wasn't looking. Way to close to bedtime for that level of chocolate discovery.)
.
I haven't folded any laundry. It's all in a lump in the living room - usually I'll fold in the evening whilst watching tv. Not lately though - I think I'm maybe working towards fulfilling a subconscious fantasy, where Amoryn & I* will wake up every morning, strip off our pj's**, run downstairs gleefully, then plunge into the pile of clean laundry like we're Scrooge MacDuck, & joyously dive around until we're dressed in what we want for the day.
.
Or it could be that my sacrum is still a wee bit tweaky post-flights, and sitting crosslegged on the floor is no good at all. One more chiro trip should get me back into shape. I hope.
.
What else is new... I made guacamole! Not that that's terribly new or unusual, but because I frequently get compliments on my guac, I thought I'd share my secrets. Not really secrets, per se: I make the quick'n'dirty version. I don't mince, grate, pare, dice, or blend. I do line up all the ingredients, like I'm organizing all the actors in a graphic veggie slasher film, & I'm the crazed director.

(I like how my berry herbal tea is casting an ominous red haze on the left.)
.
I cut the avodaoes in half. Mmmmm, organic avocadoes... so worht it. I scoop out their guts. (Graphic veg violence, edited for viewers.)
.
I use the garlic & herb spice grinder liberally, & the chili*** grinder more frugally, & a then put in a gwoosh of lime juice.

(Sorry about the money shot of the lime juice. I guess that's the topless chearleader running through the woods, eh?)
.
Mash enthusiastically. (Likewise edited for viewer's sensibilites, and also, I can't mash & take a photo at the same time. Where's my darn gaffers?)

.
Taste. Adjust lime & spices as needed. Remeber, the spices & lime will 'ripen' as time goes by, so the flavors will become more pronounced than they are when you first mix a batch up. And be careful to go easy on the salt!
.

Mmmmmm.
.
.
Oh, and by the way: should there be any leftovers****, I don't save the pits or anything like that. I carefully smoosh all the air out under a layer of saran-wrap. That, & the citric acid in the guac, seem to keep it from getting too brown too fast.
.
.
.
*Am & I are the only people I do laundry for. Bless the man's buttons, he does his own. And irons it too!
**Yes, I sleep in pj's. It's hard enough to roll out of bed in the middle of the night for the bad-dream patrol; if I was going to have to be cold, too? Eesh.
***Not chili, like the chili that's a meal, chili like the 'hot!'.
****Hah! Only if I'm trying to remember to 'share'.

No comments: