Tuesday, March 10, 2009

What's Not To Love About -24C Highs?


(It's much easier to knit with sand than snow.)
.
Today, I drove to the train & then trained in to the office.
.
I usually knit on the train. It was a last minute decision (predicated by @$#! traffic) to take the train, so I thought that it was lucky that I'd stuffed a knitting project into my bag. I did end up with the following realization though.
.
Knitting on the train = possible.
.
Knitting with half frozen hands on the train = a little challenging, a little slow.
.
Knitting with half frozen hands & 14" straights on the train = challenging, slow, & clumsy.*
.
Knitting with half frozen hands & 14" straights while wearing idiot strings with mittens dangling from them = almost impossible.
.
I didn't give up though; even slow, clumsy, half-frozen knitting that is embroiled with some I-cord idiot strings is more progress than no knitting at all.
.
Although, I should have maybe not bothered last night - I was working on my knitting project of delight - my luscious Handmaiden Seasilk thing** - and after 45 minutes of hard work, I had two rows less than when I started. The man just does not understnad why I bother, sometimes...
(These are Seasilk from Handmaiden - and none of them are my colorway. But they do capture the lushness, the beauty, the irresistable nature of the yarn that practically hurled itself into my arms, singing "LOVE ME! I'm yours!"***.)
.
Actually, I think the people on the train this morning didn't get it, either. Although I'd swear that there was at least one hand-made toque in the bunch....
.
.
.
*I wouldn't have if there was someone sitting next to me. That would be rude. Luckily, the 14" needles & the spastic flopping of my mittens scared people away.
**I'm planning a pattern - and so no pics for now. But ooh, I'm in love. It's a variegated yarn, so my challenge was to come up with something that didn't just lose either the stitch or the yarn in the final result. I am pleased thus far, & look forward to the grand unveiling, & your input, too.
***Don't tell me that yarn has never done that to you.

No comments: