Saturday, March 21, 2009

Ah, Wednesday.

Did I tell you about how nice Wednesday was?
.
(Maybe I shouldn't because you might be struck green with envy. But I'm not telling your for you to be envious*, I'm sharing because it was such a great day.)
.
First, Wednesdays are my day** - Am goes to daycare, & I take care of things that I need to, that aren't particularly toddler friendly. Things like the books, cleaning the bathrooms, dyeing stuff, etc. Also, the gym, naps, and lately, yoga class.
.
Wednesdays make me happy. I adore Amoryn, but I am of the firm belief that things that make me a better person make me a better mother & role model. Having time to myself makes me a better person.
.
Last Wednesday was a particularly nice example of Wednesday. It started off well, because Tuesday evening I was working (fighting) with some work (Cost Report of Awful Proportions, hereafter known as CRAP), and it was going nowhere good. Then I had like three breakthroughs, it worked magnificently, I sent it off in time to avoid that whoosh noise that deadlines make as I miss them, and I went to sleep full of good feelings.
.
Wednesday, I had yoga class. Our instructor rocks - she's very knowledgeable about alternate positions for varying needs (lots of seniors withreduced mobility in my class), and she doesn't have that masochistic streak that some instructors seem to have. I'd been apprehensive about how the ass of jupiter was going to affect my downward facing dog, but I left feeling all stretched out & springy & good. Yay yoga!
.
Then I bombed home to pick up S____, to bomb downtown & meet M____ & C____ & S_____ for a leisurely 'ladies who lunch' date at the top of the Tower. Very cool. If you didn't know, there's a restaurant at the top of the Calgary Tower, & it rotates, so you can admire the views as you dine.
.
Then S___ & I both had spa appointments - I went for a hot stone massage, and I can't remember what she had. Something nice, anyways. And that was at the Hyatt's Stillwater, which is truly lovely. There's a serenity room you can rest in afterwards, to slowly re-formulate your thoughts. There's a hot tub/whirlpool***. There are refrigerated cucumbers for your eyes, if you'd like, and fresh fruit, granola bars, and water. There's "rain" showers. It's very nice.
.
Then we headed home and we were early enough & it was nice enough that we parked & walked to the daycare, then walked home. At one point, as we were slowly inspecting all the puddle & bits of ice, S___ commented how slow the progress was. "Actually, we're making really good time." "!?" I guess I'm used to cruising with toddlers now...
.
The evening plan was a little bit of a gong show - I've joined the Gillihooks Knitting Guild, which looks like it's a great oppurtunity to meet other knitters, learn, volunteer, & snack. Of course, I had no idea where I was going, so I diligently wrote the address down correctly, and then promptly switched the street & ave in my head, or S___ searched it in her Google maps. Either way, we ended up staring at a vacant lot, thinking "This is not right." We eventually did find the place - Bethany Care Center - and I entered the WRONG doors. So after I wound my way through a maze of infirm elderly, helpful yet inefficient assistants, and labyrinthine corridors, I finally found a room full of people with yarn. I expect that I’ll enjoy the next ones even mre, as a) I won’t be lost b) I won’t be late c) I will know where to find chairs.
.
And then, in an unexpected turn of events, the National Post printed a letter I write them – my very first letter to the editor! Of course, they edited it a bit, and so changed a bit of the point of what I was saying, but still. Kinda neat.**** The man wrtes an awful lot of letters, and gets a quite a few printed, so I really feel like I’m keeping up with my Mr.
.
PS: I didn't put a picture in today's post, but I did customize my sidebar so that every day, you can see the National Geographic's pciture of the day. Sweet, eh? (Scroll down, you'll see it.)
.
.
.
*Well, maybe a little. Just a bit.
**Yes, I am (we are) very lucky in that I can work part-time & take a day just for myself. I have to pay full time daycare (no such thing as "part-time", snort), but I wirk two days at the office. I'd orignally intended to step it up to three days, but there's this whole down-turn/layoffs thing going on - you might have noticed the economy? So I'm content with two days at the office.
***I freaking love that pool. You don't need to wear a swimsuit (yay! no elastic!), it doesn't reek of chlorine, it is still water unless you turn the bubbles on, and it has a waterfall wall.
****I was commenting on some excerpts of a online forum discussing whether or not the washing machine was has made the biggest impact on the lives of modern women, or not.

No comments: