Wednesday, March 25, 2009

A Day With The Dye Baths


Rovings #1, originally uploaded by Kourtney_R.

Yesterday morning, for the first time in who knows how long, there was no morning scene of rage & despair at the daycare. She was headed off to play, happy as a clam, when a little boy went zooming by & knocked her over. So again, I left to the noise of her howls. I felt right ripped off... who knows how long it would be until all the stars in the heavens aligned correctly & her almost-two-year old majesty was appeased by the morning peace offerings of cheerios & juice?
.
Turns out, about 24 hours. She was happy when I dropped her off today - she started to head off, then said "No!", and turned around. I gave her a hug, she turned around again, & we* all sighed in relief & happiness.
.
Yoga was lovely; there were like three newbies so I got to feel all polished because I knew which straps were the long ones.
.
The afternoon passed quite happily - I dyed a tidy little pile of yarns, and I think that the big batch did what I wanted, as far as color & consistency bewteen skeins go, & the little batch was more of a "What happens if I try this?". I'll know for certain once they both finish drying. Worst case scenarios, back to the dye pot! Although it's not really a pot, it's more of a system involving sealers & cling wrap & stuff. Magic erasers! Magic erasers are your friend if you are dyeing in your kitchen - they can remove the most offensive swathe of purple from the tile & walls, as long as you catch it while it's fresh. It's best to do this fast enough that your husband never sees.
.
The image is from quite some time ago - that roving is now a hat. The color is lovely, but not at all what I anticipated happening. That's good though; mistakes are a great way to learn.
.
.
.
*The adults in the daycare. I know she stops howling after approx 1.2 minutes, but still. It's nerve-wracking. I can't imagine how the daycare staff feel...

No comments: